No posts were found for provided query parameters.
St. Tudy had its first village hall it 1919 and this was the first hall in the neighbourhood. A war time Nissen Hut, erected in what is now the front garden of ‘Long Barn’, at the top of Tremeer Lane and was affectionally known as ‘The Hut.’ As a temporary structure it was nearing the end of useful life but with the outbreak of the Second World War, and with the arrival of evacuee children took on a new lease of life.
By day it was their school, by night and at weekends it still served as the place for village social events. Plays, socials, and whist drives helped to enliven the first years of the War.
But then disaster struck. The Western Morning News of 16th April 1942 reported: –
“A fire occurred about 4.30 in the afternoon, when the Hut was burnt to the ground. Although the Bodmin fire Service were soon on the scene and did their best, in less than an hour the Hut, with all its furnishings, was a mass of tangled galvanize, a sorry sight for the villagers whom it had served so well for a number of years.”
To see the full archive story, go to: http://www.sttudy.co.uk/hall-archive.html
In 1948 land was gifted for a new Hall. By now funds had been raised for a new building and on Monday the 23rd of July 1952 villagers attended the Grand Opening. Since then, there have been extensive building programmes to keep our Village Hall up to date.